Aims and activities of the organisation
Al-Farabi Kazakh National University is the leading university in Kazakhstan. Due to the systemic changes al-FarabiKazNU shows a steady promotion in world University rankings. According to the QS World University Rankings in 2017, taking 236 place KazNU entered the top 250 best universities in the world.Al-Farabi Kazakh National University was ranked among the top-10 universities by moving forward in the regional ranking called Emerging Europe and Central Asia University Rankings, QS EECA 2018.
Al-Farabi Kazakh National University is included by 14 faculties, college, institute of professional development, 7 scientific research institutes, scientific and technological park, 30 scientific centers of a social and humanitarian profile, 25 specialized dissertation councils on protection of doctoral dissertations on 67 specialties, at the university more than 20 thousand students are trained on 82 specialties of a bachelor degree, 95 master’s programs, 76 specialties of doctors of philosophy (PhD). Read more
Purpose of the University: Transformation from the classical national university into research university of a world class.
THE MAIN DIRECTIONS OF STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT OF AL-FARABI KAZNU ARE:
- Improving the quality of educational activities.
- The development and improvement of the quality of research and innovation activities
- Improvement of educational and social work, youth involvement in socio-economic development of the country
- Improving the efficiency of financial-economic activity
- Expansion of international cooperation
KazNU successfully cooperates with more than 400 largest universities in the world. Annually, more than 150 well-known foreign scientists give lectures, consult and share the scientific experience at KazNU.
Al-Farabi KazNU was the first to join the program "United Nation Academic Impact" in Central Asia, aimed at supporting ten internationally accepted principles of the UN relating to human rights, literacy, sustainability and conflict resolution.
KazNU spearheaded a global hub of UN program UNAI on sustainable development in 2014., University become a Central Asian hub for sustainable development programme UNESCO / UNITWIN in March 2014.
The University is a leader in the Republic of Kazakhstan on participation in EU Programmes – TEMPUS, Erasmus Mundus, which allow to better adapt the basic principles of the Bologna process and to make academic policy of the University close to European standards. There are 9 TEMPUS projects, 7 projects of Erasmus Mundus, al-FarabiKazNU is the co-coordinator of 3 projects.
Participants of the project are the staff of the faculty of Information Technologies and department of general linguistics and the European languages. Teachers of the Department of Information Systems (faculty of Information Technologies) research more than 15 years in the field of machine translation, at the same time using and developing NLP tools.Teachers of department together with the European partners have created English-Kazakh and Kazakh-Russian dictionaries and also the English-Kazakh and Kazakh-Russian parallel corpora. The morphological analyzer is also developed for Kazakh. Teachers of the department of general linguistics and the European languages have developed the Kazakh corpus together with the partners from Russia.
The role of KazNU in the CLASS project
- Developing anactionplan
- Task distribution among the local project team
- Purchasing equipment for administrative and teaching issues
- Developing and approving the master program curriculum
- 5 academic staff participation in training on teaching CL with blended learning technology
- 5 academic staff participation in training on development methodologies for NLP tools
- Developing syllabuses and content materials of the course distributed equally among the Kazakh partners
- Introducing developed master program to other HEIs
- Developing NLP tools
- Developing e‐books and methodological books on CL distributed equally among the Kazakh partners
- Reportingto SC
- Developing project dissemination plan and sustainability strategy
- Creating a project local web-site
Operational capacity: Skills and expertise of key staff involved in the project
KazNU Team Coordinator
Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor in the specialty "Informatics, Computer Science and Management", acting head of Information systems departmnet, the winner of the grant "The best lecturer of the university" RK (2006). Read more
Steering Committee Member
Associate Professor, Ph.D of Information systems department. Scientific results are in the field of computational linguistics, machine translation, Artificial Intelligence. Read more
Senior lecturer of Information systems department. Scientific results are in the field of computational linguistics, machine translation. Read more